Lonesome, lonely: sad from being apart from other people.
To set off: to begin a journey
Cement: a soft gray powder that is mixed with water and other substances to make concrete.
To grin: to smile widely.
Cozy: small, comfortable, and warm.
To wolf down: (slang) to eat something very rapidly and in very large pieces.
To slip: to move quietly and cautiously.
Feast: a special meal with large amounts of food and drink.
Profusely: given, produced, or existing in large amounts.
Array: a large number, as of persons or objects.
To stiffen: to become physically tense.
Hasty: done or made very quickly.
Watch the video and answer the questions below:
1.Where did the story take place?
2. How did the old lady receive her unexpected guest?
3. The protagonist met a little girl, who did she think she was?
4. What did they watch on TV?
5. Why did the old woman slip out?
6. What did the old woman cook?
7. How did they communicate?
8. When did the guest understand that they were not her friend’s relatives?
9. What did she do to get out of that embarrassing situation?
10. What was the mistake?
1. It took place in Brașov, in Romania.
2. The old lady received her guest with a big grin (smile).
3. She thought she was her friend’s sister.
4. They watched soap operas on TV.
5. The old woman went out to buy food.
6. She made soup, meat, and polenta.
7. They communicated with gestures.
8. She understood she made a mistake while looking at pictures. There weren’t pictures of her friend!
9. To get out of that situation, she said that she had previously booked a room in a hotel.
10. She mixed up the numbers. The right apartment number was 98.
A STRANGER IN BRASOV – VOCABULARY
A STRANGER IN BRASOV – VIDEO, QUESTIONS, AND ANSWERS