– If you heat water, it boils.
– If babies are hungry, they cry.
– There are few jobs for young people if the economy is bad.
– If you visit me, I’ll take you to Venice.
– If the weather is fine, we will go on a trip.
– If mum is at home, she’ll make a delicious pizza.
– If Peter had a bike, he would ride it every day.
– If Emily got up early, she would be in time for school.
– Sally wouldn’t buy a car unless she needed it.
– If dad had let me go to the party, I would have been very happy.
– If I had seen Hellen, I would have given her your message.
– If it had snowed, we would have gone skiing.
Downloadable PDF file (without answers): Test your knowledge of present and past tenses – Intermediate level
Downloadable PDF file (answers): Test your knowledge of present and past tenses – Intermediate level – ANSWERS
Can you spot all the mistakes?
- I am the good gamer and I play with good character.
- It don’t work.
- If you are talking to me, then I got distracted.
- A turtle on a cloud that trow another turtle.
- There is one that have a coins.
Write a comment below with all the mistakes you can find and I will tell you if you are right!
Downloadable PDF file: Can you spot all the mistakes?
Fill in the gaps with the past simple or past continuous form of the verbs in brackets
I ______________ (walk) home when I ______________ (meet) Maria.
John __________________ (wait) for me when I ________________ (arrive).
I haven’t seen Andrew for ages. When I last _________________ (see) him, he ___________________ (try) to find a job in Dublin.
He _________________ (read) the newspaper when the phone _______________ (ring).
I _________________ (make) a sandwich when Mike _______________ (arrive).
We ________________ (not go) out because it ________________ (rain).
When I was young, I _____________ (want) to be a doctor.
He usually wears sandals but when I last ______________ (see) him he _________________ (wear) boots.
My brother ______________ (see) you in the park two days ago. You__________________ (play) football with Stuart.
While I _________________ (work) in the garden, I _________________ (hurt) my back.
1) was walking; met.
2) was waiting; arrived.
3) saw; was trying.
4) was reading; rang.
5) was making; arrived.
6) didn’t go; was raining.
8) saw; was wearing.
9) saw; were playing.
10) was working; hurt.
Fill in the gaps with a verb from the box in the past simple, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous tenses. Use each verb once:
Tomorrow the answers will be available on Facebook: Free English Materials (Album: Quizzes’ answers).
Taken from Hopkins, D., Cullen, P. (2007), Grammar for IELTS, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, p. 33.
Click here for an interactive version of this quiz: Quiz on past tenses.
Elanguest has a fantastic YouTube channel where you can find a variety of videos with subtitles.
For instance, this is a video on English vocabulary (topic: hotel). It is perfect for those who are willing to review their vocabulary before going on holidays abroad. In this video, you can read, see, and hear all the most common words related to this topic:
Another video that could come in handy is on shopping vocabulary:
Elanguest’s videos are not only related to English vocabulary. For example, this one is on Active and Passive forms and their uses in English (Grammar):
The topic of the following video is Present simple/continuous: