The 11th episode of English4Gamers is out! In this episode, we keep playing Donkey Kong Country (1994), a platforming video game. As always, I suggest that you read the vocabulary list before watching the episode. There is also a fill in the gaps exercise (with downloadable version and answers) to test your listening comprehension.
- NEMESIS: an opponent or enemy that is very difficult to defeat.
Ex. The superhero fought her nemesis for years.
- SCATTERED: placed or found far apart.
Ex. The toys were scattered all over the room.
- PRECISE: exact and accurate.
Ex. Thanks to Marilyn’s precise directions, Louis and Natalie found the house without any problems.
- HUGE: very large; very great in size, amount, or degree.
Ex. They live in a huge house.
- TRICKY: difficult to deal with.
Ex. It’s tricky to learn to ride a skateboard, but you never forget how.
- SEVERAL: more than two but not very many.
Ex. He arrived several hours ago.
- TO RETRIEVE: to find and bring back something.
Ex. Linda hoped she would be able to retrieve her files after her computer crashed.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box
- R: You will find ___________________, octopuses, and normal fish.
- A: I’ve___________________a secret passage.
- R: There is the ___________________ under that rock.
- R: You can still ___________________ him… follow him.
- R: With the ___________________ button you attack with your ___________________ .
- R: So, this is the last level before the ___________________.
- A: I really don’t like these jumping ___________________.
- A: They’re ___________________ everywhere.
- R: You can die many times if you want to, but it’s good because this is a very hard game so … It’s ___________________.
- A: Do I have to ___________________ the boss?!?
- R: Often the boss is a bigger version of a normal enemy … So … Like a ___________________ crocodile, a huge shark.
- R: You see … Every time you ___________________ on him, he gets faster and faster.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers -Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Fill in the gaps
Downloadable PDF version (answers): English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Answers