Fill in the gaps with the past simple or past continuous form of the verbs in brackets
I ______________ (walk) home when I ______________ (meet) Maria.
John __________________ (wait) for me when I ________________ (arrive).
I haven’t seen Andrew for ages. When I last _________________ (see) him, he ___________________ (try) to find a job in Dublin.
He _________________ (read) the newspaper when the phone _______________ (ring).
I _________________ (make) a sandwich when Mike _______________ (arrive).
We ________________ (not go) out because it ________________ (rain).
When I was young, I _____________ (want) to be a doctor.
He usually wears sandals but when I last ______________ (see) him he _________________ (wear) boots.
My brother ______________ (see) you in the park two days ago. You__________________ (play) football with Stuart.
While I _________________ (work) in the garden, I _________________ (hurt) my back.
1) was walking; met.
2) was waiting; arrived.
3) saw; was trying.
4) was reading; rang.
5) was making; arrived.
6) didn’t go; was raining.
8) saw; was wearing.
9) saw; were playing.
10) was working; hurt.
Downloadable PDF – past simple or past continuous – quiz with answers
Fill in the gaps with the past simple form of the verbs in brackets:
1. You and Sally _________ not a school yesterday. (to be)
2. Uncle Conrad_________ to catch his bus. (to hurry)
3. Two doctors _________ into the room. (to rush)
4. I ________ Jesse in the park. (to meet)
5. Mozart ________ more than 600 pieces of music. (to write)
6. I __________ to the cinema two times last week. (to go)
7. When did Mr Black _______? (to die)
8. She _________ happy. (to feel)
9. He _________ his hair yesterday. (to cut)
10. Brenda __________ 20 books last year. (to read)
11. Our neighbour _________ his door open by accident. (to leave)
12. My boyfriend __________ back from the war last month. (to come)
13. Our horses __________ a lot yesterday. (to eat)
14. I __________ to lock the door.(to forget)
15. The queen __________ for her servant. (to ring)
I suggest that you take a look at this post if you need to review this topic ;-): irregular verbs.
These are the correct answers:
1. hurried, 2. rushed, 3. met, 4. wrote, 5. went, 6. die, 7. felt, 8. cut, 9. read, 10. left, 11. came, 12. ate, 13. forgot, 14. rang
Downloadable PDF: Quiz on past simple (without answers)
Downloadable PDF: Quiz on past simple (with answers)
Fill in the gaps with a verb from the box in the past simple, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous tenses. Use each verb once:
Tomorrow the answers will be available on Facebook: Free English Materials (Album: Quizzes’ answers).
Taken from Hopkins, D., Cullen, P. (2007), Grammar for IELTS, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, p. 33.
Click here for an interactive version of this quiz: Quiz on past tenses.
iSLCollective (Internet Second Language Collective) is a website where you can find useful resources. You must register in order to download the handouts, but it’s for free. For example, this is a poster on daily activities:
This one is on action verbs:
This one is on Indirect/Reported Speech:
On this website, you can also find this kind of printable handouts:
As you can see, there are grammar rules for a quick review, then exercises with answer keys.