The 7th episode of English4Gamers is out. In this episode, Richard and I are struggling a bit. It’s the second level of Prince of Persia, a famous but difficult retro game. It’s not the first episode based on this game, but there are some new words you can learn. I suggest that you read the vocabulary list below before watching the video. There is a fill in the gaps activity that you can try to do afterwards. You can find the answers in the PDF file.
TO LEAD = to take someone somewhere, by going with them.
Ex. She led us to the door.
TO ADVANCE = the act or process of moving forward.
Ex. Our plans are to advance toward the city.
TO PARRY = to defend yourself by turning or pushing aside.
Ex. The big man turned, parried, easily deflecting the swords with his broadsword.
TO SLASH = Cut with a wide, sweeping movement, typically using a knife or a sword.
Ex. The first time I told Madi that I was dating, she slashed my tires.
TO BACK OFF = to move backwards in order to get further away from something.
Ex. Okay, you’re going to have to back off a half step.
TO DEFEAT = to do better than another in a competition or battle; to win; to beat.
Ex. Together we might be able to defeat the witch.
ASHAMED = feeling shame or guilt; feeling embarrassed.
Ex. I’m not ashamed to be a servant.
TO PICK UP = to lift (someone or something) from the ground or a low surface.
Ex. You must have picked up his jacket by mistake.
Downloadable PDF version: ENGLISH FOR GAMERS – Episode 7 – Prince Of Persia – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box:
- Richard: We killed the _______________________.
- Anna: We have to _______________ the prince out of these _________________________ into the tower where the princess in locked. Because Jaffar _________________________ her.
- Richard: With SHIFT you __________________.
- Richard: I have one life ___________________.
- Anna: There are the spikes and there is the jar with the ________________.
- Richard: Maybe there are these ______________ on the ________________ that you can break, I’m not sure.
- Richard: Such a small jump and you ______________ your legs.
- Richard: It was ___________________.
- Anna: ___________________ the opponent, the swordsman!
- Anna: Slash! Slash! And then back ____________.
- Richard: You have to ________________ when he attacks you, not like … You can’t keep pressing the button. When he attacks, you press it and you ________________________ yourself.
- Richard: You are really ________________ at this game, but you have like half ____________ so …
- Anna: We have _____________ minutes to save the princess. I don’t think we will do that.
- Anna: You can’t change the ______________________.
- Anna: Just keep _________________ what you are doing.
Downloadable PDF version (without answers): English4Gamers – Episode 7 – Prince of Persia part 2 – Fill in the gaps exercise
Downloadable PDF version (answers): English4Gamers – Episode 7 – Prince of Persia part 2 – Answers