In this episode, we continue playing Street Fighter II. At the beginning, there is a vocabulary list with all the words you will hear and maybe you don’t know. During the episode, you will have to answer some questions. If you have any suggestions, write them in the comments below ;-). If you just want to watch the video, without testing your knowledge, click here: Richard Retro Channel
Downloadable PDF file (without answers):FCE Preparation – Test your knowledge of future tenses
Downloadable PDF (answers):FCE Preparation – Test your knowledge of future tenses – Answers
Watch the first episode of English for gamers and fill in the gaps with the missing words
- A: You are the good gamer […] you __________________.
- A: He ____________________ . I _____________ like ten times.
- R: I didn’t get the ____________ score. That’s ________.
- A: So, this is a _________ of cake.
- R: With the flower you can _________________ fire.
- R: You have ____________ the second controller.
- R: Can you say it? Restart? That ____________ like Richard.
- R: You are too ____________ you can’t break it _____________ now.
- A: I _____________ my ________________. […] I would like you _____________ me when there is a mushroom somewhere maybe.
- R: Time is running ___________.
- A: These creatures are blue. What’s the __________________?
- R: There is no light so it’s all in ___________________.
- R: On the sides of the ______________ the game doesn’t exist. So if you go ____________________, you can’t go back.
- R: How do you say it? The ______________ on the back of the turtles?
- A: You _______________________ fun of me.
- A: Okay guys, __________ _____ it for today. So … See you next week!
Downloadable PDF file: Episode 1 – English4Gamers – Fill in the gaps
Can you spot all the mistakes?
- I am the good gamer and I play with good character.
- It don’t work.
- If you are talking to me, then I got distracted.
- A turtle on a cloud that trow another turtle.
- There is one that have a coins.
Write a comment below with all the mistakes you can find and I will tell you if you are right!
Downloadable PDF file: Can you spot all the mistakes?
Fill in the gaps with the past simple form of the verbs in brackets:
1. You and Sally _________ not a school yesterday. (to be)
2. Uncle Conrad_________ to catch his bus. (to hurry)
3. Two doctors _________ into the room. (to rush)
4. I ________ Jesse in the park. (to meet)
5. Mozart ________ more than 600 pieces of music. (to write)
6. I __________ to the cinema two times last week. (to go)
7. When did Mr Black _______? (to die)
8. She _________ happy. (to feel)
9. He _________ his hair yesterday. (to cut)
10. Brenda __________ 20 books last year. (to read)
11. Our neighbour _________ his door open by accident. (to leave)
12. My boyfriend __________ back from the war last month. (to come)
13. Our horses __________ a lot yesterday. (to eat)
14. I __________ to lock the door.(to forget)
15. The queen __________ for her servant. (to ring)
I suggest that you take a look at this post if you need to review this topic ;-): irregular verbs.
These are the correct answers:
1. hurried, 2. rushed, 3. met, 4. wrote, 5. went, 6. die, 7. felt, 8. cut, 9. read, 10. left, 11. came, 12. ate, 13. forgot, 14. rang
Downloadable PDF: Quiz on past simple (without answers)
Downloadable PDF: Quiz on past simple (with answers)
Lonesome, lonely: sad from being apart from other people.
To set off: to begin a journey
Cement: a soft gray powder that is mixed with water and other substances to make concrete.
To grin: to smile widely.
Cozy: small, comfortable, and warm.
To wolf down: (slang) to eat something very rapidly and in very large pieces.
To slip: to move quietly and cautiously.
Feast: a special meal with large amounts of food and drink.
Profusely: given, produced, or existing in large amounts.
Array: a large number, as of persons or objects.
To stiffen: to become physically tense.
Hasty: done or made very quickly.
Watch the video and answer the questions below:
1.Where did the story take place?
2. How did the old lady receive her unexpected guest?
3. The protagonist met a little girl, who did she think she was?
4. What did they watch on TV?
5. Why did the old woman slip out?
6. What did the old woman cook?
7. How did they communicate?
8. When did the guest understand that they were not her friend’s relatives?
9. What did she do to get out of that embarrassing situation?
10. What was the mistake?
1. It took place in Brașov, in Romania.
2. The old lady received her guest with a big grin (smile).
3. She thought she was her friend’s sister.
4. They watched soap operas on TV.
5. The old woman went out to buy food.
6. She made soup, meat, and polenta.
7. They communicated with gestures.
8. She understood she made a mistake while looking at pictures. There weren’t pictures of her friend!
9. To get out of that situation, she said that she had previously booked a room in a hotel.
10. She mixed up the numbers. The right apartment number was 98.