The 11th episode of English4Gamers is out! In this episode, we keep playing Donkey Kong Country (1994), a platforming video game. As always, I suggest that you read the vocabulary list before watching the episode. There is also a fill in the gaps exercise (with downloadable version and answers) to test your listening comprehension.
- NEMESIS: an opponent or enemy that is very difficult to defeat.
Ex. The superhero fought her nemesis for years.
- SCATTERED: placed or found far apart.
Ex. The toys were scattered all over the room.
- PRECISE: exact and accurate.
Ex. Thanks to Marilyn’s precise directions, Louis and Natalie found the house without any problems.
- HUGE: very large; very great in size, amount, or degree.
Ex. They live in a huge house.
- TRICKY: difficult to deal with.
Ex. It’s tricky to learn to ride a skateboard, but you never forget how.
- SEVERAL: more than two but not very many.
Ex. He arrived several hours ago.
- TO RETRIEVE: to find and bring back something.
Ex. Linda hoped she would be able to retrieve her files after her computer crashed.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box
- R: You will find ___________________, octopuses, and normal fish.
- A: I’ve___________________a secret passage.
- R: There is the ___________________ under that rock.
- R: You can still ___________________ him… follow him.
- R: With the ___________________ button you attack with your ___________________ .
- R: So, this is the last level before the ___________________.
- A: I really don’t like these jumping ___________________.
- A: They’re ___________________ everywhere.
- R: You can die many times if you want to, but it’s good because this is a very hard game so … It’s ___________________.
- A: Do I have to ___________________ the boss?!?
- R: Often the boss is a bigger version of a normal enemy … So … Like a ___________________ crocodile, a huge shark.
- R: You see … Every time you ___________________ on him, he gets faster and faster.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers -Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Fill in the gaps
Downloadable PDF version (answers): English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Answers
In this episode, we continue playing Street Fighter II. At the beginning, there is a vocabulary list with all the words you will hear and maybe you don’t know. During the episode, you will have to answer some questions. If you have any suggestions, write them in the comments below ;-). If you just want to watch the video, without testing your knowledge, click here: Richard Retro Channel
In this episode, we play again Super Mario Bros. At the beginning, there is a vocabulary list – you can find a printable version below -with all the words you will hear and maybe you don’t know. During the episode, you will have to answer some questions. If you have any suggestions, write them in the comments below. I know I have to speak louder ;-). We filmed this weeks ago, now I’m a bit better (at least, I hope so). If you just want to watch the video, without testing your knowledge, click here: Episode without the quiz.
Downloadable PDF – Vocabulary list: Vocabulary list – English4Gamers – Episode 3 – Super Mario Bros
You can find a vocabulary list below the video 😉 (you can download it as PDF file).
- Gamer => a person who plays games and especially video or computer games.
- Fake => not real, but made to look or seem real.
- Score => the number of points someone gets in a game or test.
- A piece of cake => something that is very easy to do.
- To configure => to arrange or prepare (something) so that it can be used
- Controller => a device or piece of equipment used to operate a machine, vehicle, or system.
- To restart (that sounds like Richard ahahahh) = to make (something) start again after it has stopped.
- Mushroom =>
- To run out => to finish; to come to an end.
- Darkness => a state in which there is little or no light.
- Brick =>
- Quote => to repeat (something that is written or said by another person) exactly.
- Screen => the part of a television or computer that shows images or writing.
- To cheat => to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something.
- Spike => a long, thin rod that ends in a point and is often made of metal.
- To skip => to not do something that you usually do.
Vocabulary list first episode English4Gamers (in English)
Lista dei vocaboli inglese-italiano primo episodio English4Gamers
- Can you say “restart” in English?
Yes, you totally can ;-)!
- How do you pronounce “delete”?
You say it like this : /dɪˈliːt/
*Notice that in British slang the meaning of “geek” is slightly different in a negative way. In the UK, a “geek” is someone into computers and IT, but also a boring and not fashionable person.