The 11th episode of English4Gamers is out! In this episode, we keep playing Donkey Kong Country (1994), a platforming video game. As always, I suggest that you read the vocabulary list before watching the episode. There is also a fill in the gaps exercise (with downloadable version and answers) to test your listening comprehension.
- NEMESIS: an opponent or enemy that is very difficult to defeat.
Ex. The superhero fought her nemesis for years.
- SCATTERED: placed or found far apart.
Ex. The toys were scattered all over the room.
- PRECISE: exact and accurate.
Ex. Thanks to Marilyn’s precise directions, Louis and Natalie found the house without any problems.
- HUGE: very large; very great in size, amount, or degree.
Ex. They live in a huge house.
- TRICKY: difficult to deal with.
Ex. It’s tricky to learn to ride a skateboard, but you never forget how.
- SEVERAL: more than two but not very many.
Ex. He arrived several hours ago.
- TO RETRIEVE: to find and bring back something.
Ex. Linda hoped she would be able to retrieve her files after her computer crashed.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box
- R: You will find ___________________, octopuses, and normal fish.
- A: I’ve___________________a secret passage.
- R: There is the ___________________ under that rock.
- R: You can still ___________________ him… follow him.
- R: With the ___________________ button you attack with your ___________________ .
- R: So, this is the last level before the ___________________.
- A: I really don’t like these jumping ___________________.
- A: They’re ___________________ everywhere.
- R: You can die many times if you want to, but it’s good because this is a very hard game so … It’s ___________________.
- A: Do I have to ___________________ the boss?!?
- R: Often the boss is a bigger version of a normal enemy … So … Like a ___________________ crocodile, a huge shark.
- R: You see … Every time you ___________________ on him, he gets faster and faster.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers -Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Fill in the gaps
Downloadable PDF version (answers): English4Gamers – Episode 11 – Donkey Kong Country – Answers
The 10th episode of English4Gamers is out! In this episode, we keep playing Doom (1993), a science fiction horror-themed first-person shooter videogame by id Software. As always, I suggest that you read the vocabulary list before watching the episode. There is also a fill in the gaps exercise (with downloadable version and answers) to test your listening comprehension.
- TO PICK UP: to take hold of and lift up.
- AHEAD: in or toward the front.
- KEY CARD: a plastic card, similar to a credit card, containing data on an embedded magnetised strip that can electronically unlock a door, activate a machine, etc.
- ON PURPOSE: in a way that is planned or intended.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers Episode 10 – Doom – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box
- Richard: And today we ______________ playing Doom.
- Richard: We ______________two new weapons.
- Richard: So … Try this weapon. If you don’t like it, you ______________ to the
- Richard: You see? They’re __________ you.
- Anna: I feel so ______________ with this gun.
- Richard: You can’t go here because you need a blue ______________.
- Richard: Go ______________ and turn right.
- Anna: Just because I have this gun, not because I’m good ______________.
- Richard: Okay, let’s use the _____________ instead.
- Anna: Come on! You want to die. Noooooo … Use the other one, don’t be ______________.
- Richard: There is a ______________ over here, a red button.
- Anna: It’s ______________. Where is the light switch?
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – Episode 10 – Doom – Fill in the Gaps Ex.
Answers: English4Gamers – Episode 10 – Doom – Answers
The 8th episode of English4Gamers is finally out! I suggest that you take a look at the vocabulary list before watching it ;-). This time, Richard and I decided to play Doom, a 1993 science fiction horror-themed first-person shooter (FPS) video game. If you want to test your listening comprehension, you can try to fill in the gaps with the correct words in the sentences below the video. You can download a PDF version of the video & the answers.
TO GUIDE = to accompany (a sightseer) to show points of interest and to explain their meaning or significance.
Ex. He guided her to the front row and sat beside her.
TO RELEASE = to make available to the public.
Ex. The band’s latest album will be released next week.
TO BLEED = to lose blood.
Ex. She was bleeding from the face and hands.
BY THE WAY = used in speech to introduce a statement or question that may or may not relate to the current topic of conversation.
Ex. By the way, have you received that letter yet?
AMMO = objects that can be shot from a weapon, such as bullets or shells.
ACCURATE = precise; able to produce results that are correct.
Ex. The machines were not yet accurate enough to give useful results.
Free downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – episode 8 – Doom – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box:
- RICHARD: With the blue button you _____________.
- RICHARD: With the green button you ___________ weapon.
- ANNA: There was like an __________________ and it went wrong. So there are these ___________________ people walking around.
- ANNA: It’s like … I’m ________________ to playing it on my __________________ and it’s so different.
- RICHARD: Go in __________________ of the stairs and press only the forward button.
- ANNA: Here there is a secret _____________________ I’m sure.
- RICHARD: Go _________________, on the left side. There should be a secret room.
- RICHARD: This is the first secret. There are two ______________________.
- RICHARD: Your nose is ___________________ by the way.
- ANNA: I’m __________________. Look at my face, full of blood and wounds.
- ANNA: I want the ______________________.
- ANNA: We need another weapon. This is not __________________________.
- ANNA: Go straight on and up the stairs. Go through the room with the ________________ to the lift.
- ANNA: I think so … To the _______________ and travel __________________. So you have to take a lift.
- ANNA: That’s an imp. You see that he has _____________________ on his shoulders and on his elbows.
- RICHARD: Yes, they are really ___________________ by the way.
Free downloadable PDF version (without answers):English4Gamers – Episode 8 – Fill in the gaps exercise (without answers)
Free downloadable PDF version (answers) : English4Gamers – Episode 8 – Answers
The 6th episode of English4Gamers is out :-)! In this episode, we play Super Mario Kart, a racing game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the first game of the Mario Kart series. I suggest that you read the vocabulary list before watching the episode ;-). I’ll upload an interactive quiz based on this episode tomorrow or Sunday. We are trying to improve, so if you have any suggestion, please, let us know :-).
We published the 5th episode of English4Gamers. Here you can find the episode with a vocabulary list and interactive quiz:
If you want to watch the episode without taking the quiz: Richard Retro . I suggest that before watching it you read the vocabulary list:
In this episode, we play again Super Mario Bros. At the beginning, there is a vocabulary list – you can find a printable version below -with all the words you will hear and maybe you don’t know. During the episode, you will have to answer some questions. If you have any suggestions, write them in the comments below. I know I have to speak louder ;-). We filmed this weeks ago, now I’m a bit better (at least, I hope so). If you just want to watch the video, without testing your knowledge, click here: Episode without the quiz.
Downloadable PDF – Vocabulary list: Vocabulary list – English4Gamers – Episode 3 – Super Mario Bros
In this episode, we are going to play Street Fighters II Turbo, another retro game. At the beginning of the video, you will learn some words you may not know. Then, while watching the episode, you will have to answer to some questions. I hope you will like it ;-).
If you just want to watch the video, without the quiz, you can watch it here:
Words you will hear and you may not know:
You can find a vocabulary list below the video 😉 (you can download it as PDF file).
- Gamer => a person who plays games and especially video or computer games.
- Fake => not real, but made to look or seem real.
- Score => the number of points someone gets in a game or test.
- A piece of cake => something that is very easy to do.
- To configure => to arrange or prepare (something) so that it can be used
- Controller => a device or piece of equipment used to operate a machine, vehicle, or system.
- To restart (that sounds like Richard ahahahh) = to make (something) start again after it has stopped.
- Mushroom =>
- To run out => to finish; to come to an end.
- Darkness => a state in which there is little or no light.
- Brick =>
- Quote => to repeat (something that is written or said by another person) exactly.
- Screen => the part of a television or computer that shows images or writing.
- To cheat => to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something.
- Spike => a long, thin rod that ends in a point and is often made of metal.
- To skip => to not do something that you usually do.
Vocabulary list first episode English4Gamers (in English)
Lista dei vocaboli inglese-italiano primo episodio English4Gamers
- Can you say “restart” in English?
Yes, you totally can ;-)!
- How do you pronounce “delete”?
You say it like this : /dɪˈliːt/