Last Tuesday Richard published the 9th episode of English4Gamers. Unfortunately, I was a bit busy last week 😦 and I didn’t manage to share it with you. As always, I wrote a vocabulary list and I suggest that you read it before watching the video. This time, we decided to play Donkey Kong Country, a 1994 platforming videogame published by Nintendo. The game is set on an island and the protagonists are Donkey Kong and his nephew Diddy Kong. They must recover their stolen hoard of bananas stolen by the Kremlings (anthropomorphic crocodilians). You can test your listening skills with a fill in the gaps exercise.
TO PICK: to take something with your fingers; to gather together; to collect.
They were picking strawberries last week.
TO DEFEAT: to win against someone in a fight, war, or competition.
We must be ready to defeat our enemies in battle.
TO ROLL: to move forward while turning over and over.
STORYLINE: the plot of a book, film, play, etc.
SUPPLY: the amount of something that is available to be used.
Ex. We have three months’ supply of tuna to eat.
TO SWITCH: to make a change from one thing to another.
Ex. After the bank robbery, the gang switched cars.
ROPE: a strong, thick string that is made by twisting many thin strings or fibres together.
Ex. She made a knot in the rope.
TO SWING: to move backwards and forward or from side to side while hanging from something.
WASP: a flying insect, often black and yellow, that can sting.
BEE: a yellow and black flying insect that makes honey and can sting you.
TIP: a useful suggestion.
Bob gave us some tips about travelling in Italy.
CAVE: a hollow or natural passage under or into the earth, especially one with an opening to the surface.
Downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers Episode 9 Donkey Kong County
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words:
- R: I finished it _______________times.
- R: What kind of _______________ do we have here?
- R: Basically, you are versus _______________.
- A: How many_______________do we have?
- A: How can you _______________ enemies?
- R: Or you jump over them or you _______________.
- A: Is there a _________________?
- R: You are Donkey Kong. You live in this_______________. One day, this crocodile, the Crocodile King came to your island and stole all your bananas.
- A: Yeah … My secret supply of _______________ hidden somewhere … He’s found it and …
- R: It’s a _______________ hard game, I must say.
- R: When you _______________ three of them … oh … I’ve just failed … When you pick three of them you gain a bonus _______________ where you can get more lives.
- A: But it’s difficult. I cannot see _______________.
- R: This is the first _______________, you have to collect four of them.
- A: I don’t like _______________ … This is _______________ rain. I want a sunny day.
- A: No, the big one is a _______________.
- R: This is a _______________, right? Not a bee.
- A: Bees are really nice and _______________ actually.
- A: Did you just _______________ at the exit?
- A: I like that they’re _______________ together.
- R: This is our _______________ probably, who give you tips and …
- R: This is a _______________ – level.
- A: You have to take your _______________.
Downloadable PDF version (without answers):English4Gamers – Episode 9 – Donkey Kong Country – Fill in the gaps
Downloadable PDF version (answers):English4Gamers Donkey Kong Country Answers