The 8th episode of English4Gamers is finally out! I suggest that you take a look at the vocabulary list before watching it ;-). This time, Richard and I decided to play Doom, a 1993 science fiction horror-themed first-person shooter (FPS) video game. If you want to test your listening comprehension, you can try to fill in the gaps with the correct words in the sentences below the video. You can download a PDF version of the video & the answers.
TO GUIDE = to accompany (a sightseer) to show points of interest and to explain their meaning or significance.
Ex. He guided her to the front row and sat beside her.
TO RELEASE = to make available to the public.
Ex. The band’s latest album will be released next week.
TO BLEED = to lose blood.
Ex. She was bleeding from the face and hands.
BY THE WAY = used in speech to introduce a statement or question that may or may not relate to the current topic of conversation.
Ex. By the way, have you received that letter yet?
AMMO = objects that can be shot from a weapon, such as bullets or shells.
ACCURATE = precise; able to produce results that are correct.
Ex. The machines were not yet accurate enough to give useful results.
Free downloadable PDF version: English4Gamers – episode 8 – Doom – Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps in the following sentences with the correct words from the box:
- RICHARD: With the blue button you _____________.
- RICHARD: With the green button you ___________ weapon.
- ANNA: There was like an __________________ and it went wrong. So there are these ___________________ people walking around.
- ANNA: It’s like … I’m ________________ to playing it on my __________________ and it’s so different.
- RICHARD: Go in __________________ of the stairs and press only the forward button.
- ANNA: Here there is a secret _____________________ I’m sure.
- RICHARD: Go _________________, on the left side. There should be a secret room.
- RICHARD: This is the first secret. There are two ______________________.
- RICHARD: Your nose is ___________________ by the way.
- ANNA: I’m __________________. Look at my face, full of blood and wounds.
- ANNA: I want the ______________________.
- ANNA: We need another weapon. This is not __________________________.
- ANNA: Go straight on and up the stairs. Go through the room with the ________________ to the lift.
- ANNA: I think so … To the _______________ and travel __________________. So you have to take a lift.
- ANNA: That’s an imp. You see that he has _____________________ on his shoulders and on his elbows.
- RICHARD: Yes, they are really ___________________ by the way.
Free downloadable PDF version (without answers):English4Gamers – Episode 8 – Fill in the gaps exercise (without answers)
Free downloadable PDF version (answers) : English4Gamers – Episode 8 – Answers