In this episode, we are going to play Street Fighters II Turbo, another retro game. At the beginning of the video, you will learn some words you may not know. Then, while watching the episode, you will have to answer to some questions. I hope you will like it ;-).
If you just want to watch the video, without the quiz, you can watch it here:
Words you will hear and you may not know:
You can find a vocabulary list below the video 😉 (you can download it as PDF file).
- Gamer => a person who plays games and especially video or computer games.
- Fake => not real, but made to look or seem real.
- Score => the number of points someone gets in a game or test.
- A piece of cake => something that is very easy to do.
- To configure => to arrange or prepare (something) so that it can be used
- Controller => a device or piece of equipment used to operate a machine, vehicle, or system.
- To restart (that sounds like Richard ahahahh) = to make (something) start again after it has stopped.
- Mushroom =>
- To run out => to finish; to come to an end.
- Darkness => a state in which there is little or no light.
- Brick =>
- Quote => to repeat (something that is written or said by another person) exactly.
- Screen => the part of a television or computer that shows images or writing.
- To cheat => to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something.
- Spike => a long, thin rod that ends in a point and is often made of metal.
- To skip => to not do something that you usually do.
Vocabulary list first episode English4Gamers (in English)
Lista dei vocaboli inglese-italiano primo episodio English4Gamers
- Can you say “restart” in English?
Yes, you totally can ;-)!
- How do you pronounce “delete”?
You say it like this : /dɪˈliːt/
Hi guys! I have a new project and I hope you will like it. A few months ago I started working with Richard. He is a gamer and he already has a youtube channel (Richard Retro). Until now he has been “posting in Italian”, but he wants to “grow”. I don’t have a youtube channel yet, so I decided to collaborate with him. We both believe in learning by having fun and we do get along well. At the beginning, it was a bit weird for me since it was the first time. We haven’t posted anything yet, we will probably publish the intro on Monday.
From the show’s name (English for Gamers), you can understand a bit what we will be doing and talking about ;-). Richard will teach me how to play retro games (like Super Mario Bros, Street Fighters, etc.) and I will try to help him improving his English. I must tell you that he’s not so bad at speaking English (which is not so common for Italian people), but I didn’t know it before starting to film the episodes ahahhah. Speaking about me … I must recognise that I am really bad at playing these games. When I was a kid I was always playing with my brother and I was good at it, but I forgot everything :-(. Because of it, I think the show will be fun to watch :-). We will probably be posting the videos on Tuesday, then I will create some fill in the gaps exercises and vocabulary lists based on each episode.
I ask you guys to tell us what you think about the show (pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) and if you have any suggestions for what game to play, share them with us. In this way, we will be able to improve. It’s something new for us, so you will see that we are a bit nervous in the intro and in the first episode (we kind of didn’t know each other before starting filming), I move a lot! ahhahaha By the way, the second one is better ;-). We are both from Italy but we come from different cities. Of course, you will hear our accents. Since we are playing games, we can’t cut the videos, so when we make mistakes there’s no way to hide them (lol). I am a teacher, that’s why this is particularly bad for me ahhahaha. You know … We film everything, then he does the editing part, after that I have to create something out of it to help people improving their English. And imagine … of course, while doing that I will realize that I pronounced something in a strange way or I made a strange facial expression. It didn’t happen often, but it did happen for sure grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. What can I say … Forgive me for my mistakes … I promise I will point them out ;-). I can tell you that I am sure you’ll laugh a lot, at least, it won’t be boring.
You can follow both of us on Instagram:
I must thank Sara (Richard’s girlfriend) for helping us with the project :-). She’s the one taking photos and filming everything, she’s amazing.
I’ll keep you updated 😉
Have a nice weekend!