- To stop with a clear conclusion. We use it when there’s an important change.
Example: World War II ended in 1945.
- END can’t be followed by either the infinitive (to- form) or the -ing form.
endeddrying his hair. => This sentence isn’t correct!
The correct sentence is: Mark finished drying his hair.
- To bring something to an end.
Example: Are you sure you’ll finish your essay by Monday?
- To eat, drink the last of something.
Example: I’m sorry, I just finished the coffee.
- It can be followed by the -ing form, but not by the infinitive.
have finishedto play. => This sentence is not correct!
The correct sentence is: They have finished playing.