The international English language testing system (IELTS) is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration.
The Academic Module consists of 3 parts:
- Academic Reading: 3 different texts (40 questions) – 1 hour;
- Academic Writing: 2 separate writing tasks – 1 hour;
- Listening: 4 separate sections (40 questions) – 30 minutes + 10 minutes to transfer your answers;
- Speaking: 3 parts – 11-14 minutes.
ACADEMIC IELTS – WRITING TASK 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on task 1, writing at least 150 words. Writing task 2 is longer and more demanding. This is why you should spend about 40 minutes on task 2, which is worth twice as much as task 1. You are required to write a discursive essay of at least 250 words.
In task 1, you are required to describe and summarise visual information. The information may be presented in:
You will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Task achievement;
- Coherence and cohesion;
- Lexical resource;
- Grammatical range and accuracy.